Represent the UK at the 2018 Y7/Y20 Summits
The Future Leaders Network is seeking talented young people to represent the United Kingdom at the 2018 Y7 and Y20 Summits.
About the Youth Summits
The Youth Summits are global gatherings of future leaders, that seek to generate policy recommendations through pragmatic and evidence-based negotiation. Delegates to the Summits will be expected to negotiate a communiqué that will be officially presented to the hosts Governments and G7/G20 Leaders. In order to increase the effectiveness of the Summits, delegates will also participate in online 'pre-negotiations' in early 2018 with the other delegates.
We are looking for two teams of talented young people to represent the United Kingdom at the following Youth Summits:
Y7 Ottawa, Canada - TBC, but likely 3rd week of April.
Y20 Cordoba, Argentina - 13-19 August 2018.
This year, the Youth 7 Summit will focus on the following themes:
- Gender equality;
- Climate change & the environment;
- Future of work.
Delegations will negotiate a final consensus communiqué, focused on producing specific, actionable recommendations for the G7. These recommendations will inform a month of intensive advocacy after the end of the Y7 and before World Leaders meet in Charlevoix, Quebec in June 2018.
The 2018 Y7 Summit will take place in Ottawa, Canada. The final date of the summit has yet to be officially confirmed, but is likely to be the third week in April.
There are no participation fees. All in-country costs for delegates will be covered during the course of the summit, however it is the responsibility of delegates (and/or their host organizations) to arrange, book and cover the costs of international travel to and from Canada.
This year, the Youth 20 Summit will focus on the theme “education for development”, with three central pillars which have influence over all the subjects discussed - sustainability, gender equality and fairness.
Four Task forces will be established in order to allow participants to address the following topics:
- Skills for the 21st century: education for employment, innovative educational methodologies, reducing gender and inequality gaps, teaching skills and citizenship;
- The Future of work: adapt the current labor paradigm, policies for retraining and re-skilling workforce, new technologies;
- Entrepreneurship and self-employment: employment, innovation and welfare effects, youth unemployment, infrastructure to foster local consumption and collaboration, digital economy;
- Sustainable development: strong, sustainable and inclusive development, circular and blue economy, sustainable consumption and resource efficiency.
The 2018 Y20 Summit will take place in Cordoba, Argentina, between 13 and 19 August, 2018.
There are no participation fees. The organising committee will cover the cost of board and accommodation for all official Y20 Summit delegates. Delegates are responsible for their international travel, transit costs, and travel insurance.
To be eligible to represent the UK at either of the 2018 Youth Summits, you must:
- be no more than 30 years old at the time of the Summit;
- be a citizen of the United Kingdom and hold a valid UK passport;
- be able to attend Summit for its entire duration, participate in the online pre-negotiation on regular basis and commit to work 10 hours per month on follow-up actions for Y20 over a period of 12 months post-summit;
- Deep knowledge of, at least, one of the task forces topics.
This is a fantastic opportunity to learn new skills, meet people from all over the world and genuinely help to shape the thinking of the G7/G20 process and the leadership of the participating countries.